Posted by Karen Jones | November 1, 2016
It is believed that about 19 websites that sell diet pills which contain a dangerous chemical linked to a number of deaths around the UK have been shut down.
According to the Food Standards Agency the websites that were selling 2,4-dinitrophenol were closed down last during last year.
Reports have since indicted that the drug is still being sold on sites located on the dark web.
The 2,4-dinitrophenol chemical is intended for industry use and should not be sold for human consumption.
Eloise Aimee Parry aged 21 bought some of the diet pills containing 2,4-dinitrophenol in April of 2015 from a online store.
After consuming the diet pills the girl who was from Shrewsbury died later that day.
Another unfortunate victim was Sean Cleathero from Buckinghamshire aged 28 who died after taking the illegal diet pill in October 2012.
Sharon Ayres his mother said: 'Why would people still want to take it anyway, weather they think there is a safe does, because there isn't a safe dose?'
David Cameron the former Prime Minister brought the issue up in the Commons after Sarah Houston took the pill containing 2,4-dinitrophenol and died in Leeds back in 2012.
An investigation into the current sale of these illegal diet pill found websites marketing them for human consumption.
Using multiple samples bought online, tests were taken out showing that some pill contained up to 40% 2,4-dinitrophenol which is an alarming amount.
An analyst named Jon Griffin said: 'You're not being able to control your body temperature, at 40 per cent that danger rises significantly, this has got some potential in there for very serious repercussions.
'Worst case scenario would be death.'
£1.4 million worth of illegal diet pulls were seized between 2015 and 2016 which is a significant amount more than in previous years.
Lynda Scammell of the Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency said: 'The internet offers access to a vast number of websites offering products marketed as 'slimming' or 'diet' pills.
'Many of these pills will not be licensed medicines. That means their contents are unknown and untested.
'Chances are they simply will not work, but they may contain dangerous ingredients,
'The consequences for your health can be devastating.'