Fart sparks fire during surgery in Japan leaving patient seriously burnt

Posted by Karen Jones | October 31, 2016

A patient undergoing surgery at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital located in Shinjuku was seriously burnt after allegedly farting in the operating room.

The fart which caused a fire to break out leading to the injuries took place on the 15th of April. The female patient was having an operation involving laser application to her cervix.



It is believed to be the laser which ignited the gas causing the fire which left the women in her 30s with serious burns to the body.

In a report release on the 28th of October by a committee of experts who examined the incident said that no other flammable materials were present at the time of surgery and all the equipment was functioning as normal.

The report also said: 'When the patient's intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation, it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire.'

Comments